With Halloween fast upon us and — even scarier — a Presidential Election here in the U.S., I thought I’d share a list of science fiction, fantasy, and horror (SFFH) television episodes have scared the bejesus out of me over the years. Most folks like to rent hack-n-slash movies this time of year, but I’ve always been drawn to the ole idiot box.
The first list contains episodes that I’ve seen over the years. Keep in mind that some of these might’ve scared me when I was 10-years-old, while others kept me awake just last week (around Tuesday or so). Again, this part of the couch potato list includes only those I have already seen, often repeatedly. And my age does show here, because you’ll see the list is heavily laced with
old-school TV programs. What’s more, I’m not that big of a fan of horror, so shows like Supernatural
have not even made the cut. I am, however, a huge fan of the classic coming-of-age tale, so that explains why the Stephen King miniseries made the cut.
- “Home” — The X-Files
- “Dragon’s Domain” — Space:1999
- “Living Doll” — The Twilight Zone
- “The Hitchhiker” — The Twilight Zone
- “It’s a Good Life” — The Twilight Zone
- “Pilot, Part 1” — Lost
- “The Doomsday Machine” — Star Trek (TOS)
- “It Crawled out of the Woodwork” — The Outer Limits
- “Corpus Earthling” — The Outer Limits
- “Bushwhacked” — Firefly
- “Beyond Life and Death” — Twin Peaks
- IT — The miniseries based on the Stephen King novel
- “The Playground” — Ray Bradbury Theater
Now, here’s the list of TV episodes that I have not seen. You might call it a “bucket list” I’ll get to beyond the grave … bwa ha ha.
A very grave list, indeed.
- “Blink” — Doctor Who
- “Shatterday” — Twilight Zone (1980s)
- “Hush” — Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- “The Final Escape” — Alfred Hitchcock Presents
- “Cool Air” — The Night Gallery
- “Sylvia” — Little House on the Prairie
Did you notice that one of the shows is an episode of Space:1999?
That episode is a weird — and deeply disturbing — re-telling of the “Saint George and the Dragon” myth. And while the series itself sucks-ass (as did most 70s SF) “Dragon’s Domain” will give you nightmares into old age … and probably turn you into a vegetarian as well.
So … these are mine.
Do agree? Disagree? Not care?
I’d like to hear what you think.
Peace, from Keith
Copyright © 2012 Alan Keith Parker. All Rights Reserved. If you steal my stuff I’ll scare the crap out of you.