I’ve discovered a small but growing number of readers really enjoy my blog but have never seen a single episode of Doctor Who. I became aware of this after receiving a series of comments, emails, Facebook posts, and late-night phone calls that started dropping subtle hints. Here’s but one example:
- “I never really gave a tinker’s dam about your blog in the first place, and that goes doubly-so now that you’re writing about Doctor Who, whoever the hell that is. We’re done!”
After reading between the lines and teasing out the undertones I decided I might need to address this problem. I’ve never written a primer before, so brace yourself … this might get rough.
A list of characters you’ll see in the show (I’ll tackle Dramatis Personae in a later post):
- The Doctor — A wise-cracking British time-traveller who regenerates into a new actor every few years.
- The Companion — A woman (usually) who smacks the bejesus out of The Doctor whenever he needs it.
Where the characters might be in any given episode (not to be confused with setting):
- Anywhere in time and space, except possibly Kansas.
- The TARDIS — This is The Doctor’s time machine. It looks like a blue phone booth. That’s because it is.
Things that might happen during any given episode (I’ve never been any good at plot):
- Tentacled aliens bullied by their society’s rigid caste system time-travel to Elizabethan England where they take over the bodies of British Royalty in order to learn how to behave in polite company.
- The Doctor and (more likely) his Companion stop them.
- The Doctor, proud of himself, slips and falls, and winds up hanging from a cliff as the episode’s cliff-hanger.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this romp. And please note any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is truly unfathomable since this isn’t a work of fiction and was never intended to be.
Copyright © 2013 Keith Parker